Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 21, 2009

It's Wednesday evening and I'm sitting here with my computer on my lap and my phone at my side trying to juggle schedules, emails, phone calls and thoughts. It's been a busy few weeks so far this year. God is opening so many doors of ministry. And reconnecting me to people I haven't talked with for a while. It's really been great.

I served dinner at GCN (Grand Central Neighborhood soup kitchen) last night and tonight. I enjoy working with the staff there and slowly getting to know the clients. On my way home tonight, I transferred between 3 trains (short rides). Each of the stations had multiple musicians/performers underground. There's not usually as many in these particular stations. One guy was playing a violin, 2 guys were doing some kind of combination tap and river dance on a big board, a woman was singing, and yet another person was playing a type of calypso drums. All in different places, but it was interesting to be entertained at almost every turn. Of course, they were performing for donations and it was cold up on the streets, but I still think that there were more performers due to the economy.

I've been noticing doggie apparel lately. There was a little one wearing a bright blue shiny raincoat with little black rain booties. There was the cutest bulldog wearing a camo jacket with sergeant stripes on the 'sleeve'. Some just wear regular old dog coats and sweaters. And some pooches just tough it out with the coats God gave them. New York dogs are interesting anyway. They have better manners than suburban dogs. Probably because they don't have yards to be territorial over. They are high maintenance, though, in the fact that they need to be walked. There's no just opening the door and sending them outside for exercise or to take care of business. Speaking of which, you have to pick up the 'business' from the ground and throw it away. Since I love dogs so much, I thought about dogsitting for extra cash. Then I decided that walking the dog in inclement weather and picking up poop didn't sound so appealing after all. I think I may just get a pet rock instead...

In the next few weeks, I'll be meeting with the directors of a few of the agencies we (Parable) work with. We'll be discussing the changes they are needing to make because of the economy, and how we can better help them serve. It's been interesting learning about urban ministry and will be more so to learn how to adapt these services to the altering and increased need caused by the changing economy. In the future, an increasing number of towns will become more urban-like. It's important to learn what works best in different situations. There is a little of every ministry that can be applicable to others. I feel like a giant sponge, learning all I can while serving here in NYC. I pray that God helps me to be effective wherever He places me. And I pray that all those I interact with from churches around the country who come to NYC to volunteer will leave here a with an increased understanding of global missions.

Have a blessed week!

No comments: