Friday, August 29, 2008

August 29, 2008

It's Friday of Labor Day weekend. Ahhhh.....

This turned out to be one of my days off this week since I had to be home to welcome the cable guy (they actually came during the 'appointment window' they promised - even in NYC!!!) My cable converter box was possessed this week. It kept turning itself off and trying to reboot every few minutes. I pushed the power button to turn it off and that didn't work, it was still turning itself on and off and trying to reboot. I finally had to unplug it from the wall!

As frustrating as that was, it reminded me of how pesky the enemy can be in distracting me with seemingly small glitches. Like that cable box, sometimes we have to 'un-attach' ourselves from the power source of evil. Anything that is not of God in our lives is a way for the enemy to sneak into our minds and hearts. Even distant relationships with people not walking in God's light need to be evaluated. It may seem harmless, but it's an open door. Sometimes it only takes a crack for evil to sneak in. I'm glad the cable guy could fix my problem with the dysfunctional converter box. I'm even more glad that God is always standing by to change out my wants and thoughts and anything else that is not of Him, and to give me a clear connection to His input!

I finished reading a book last week titled "One Month to Live" and it was really enlightening to me. It is one of the few books I have ever really highlighted in as I was reading (at least one that wasn't part of a study or something). Anyway, I was expecting it to just be a reminder to get my life in order by doing things like putting God first, loving people more, de-cluttering my life, etc. The book is a very easy read and is basic in the way it presents ideas. It really gave me so much more than I expected. I recommend this book highly to Everyone. I found its insights on relationships, how I handle problems, how to stay connected to God better, how to serve people more effectively and how to live a bolder life in His name. I'll probably re-read it many times. I pray for everyone to give their life to God so that they can live as boldly as they are created to be for His purpose.

Isn't technology wonderful? (I say that half sarcastically) I have drug my feet in many ways when it comes to getting too involved with technology. I guess I'm afraid it will take the place of one-on-one human contact or something. But I have to say that being able to share with so many people at once through blogs, email and even facebook, has made it easier on me than I imagined.

This week I was blessed to receive a new phone. One of my dear church partners offered to supply this for me. My old cell was having to be charged twice a day. That is aggravating enough in itself, but here where you are in 'transit' more than you are near a computer, or even available electrical outlets, it can be debilitating at times! My new blessing is a Blackberry Curve phone (now on sale for only $99) on which I can not only handle phone calls (with a longer life battery than my old phone), but I can receive emails right to my phone. I always thought that the email thing was a little over the top for a cell phone, but I cannot believe how much it has helped me in staying connected while commuting around the city. I'm very thankful for the gift and for how much of a help it is for my work here in NYC.

Don't forget that you can always reach me via cell phone, and my two email addresses. You can check up on me and the Parable ministry at this blog, Parablechurch.com and parablemission.blogspot.com. And don't ever hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns about the ministry God has brought me to here in NYC.

Someone sent me a little story/poem kind of thing that asks the question what if we treated our Bibles as we do our cell phones. I have seen this before, but it is really a good reminder to seek being connected to God and His Word as much as we try to be connected to each other and the world. As handy as a cell phone is, God is always on the line, quicker to answer, and there's never a busy signal! (I know, that's cheesy!)

I pray you all have a wonderful holiday weekend. Summer is almost over. I love fall, but am anxious about the bleakness that sometimes comes with winter. Last winter was especially challenging for me and I didn't even realize how 'gray' I felt until spring was here and it was like a huge blanket coming off. I know this winter will be much better because a lot of the oppressive things from last year are gone, but I do need your prayers to keep me lifted up through the 'gray' days.

The seasons go by so fast, as do the seasons in our lives. I'm striving to make my life simpler so that I can enjoy the walk with my God and experience all He has planned for my days. Thinking about fall weather coming in about a month, I'm picturing myself walking through Central Park with thousands of leaves bursting in color and just strolling along talking with God. I promise to send you pictures of the leaves. (You'll have to look at God for yourselves)

Thank you for your faithful love and prayers and support as I live and serve here with Parable in NYC. Blessings!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these was really neat. thanks so much and i am really encouraged by your insight into what the L is showing you. thanks for doing what you are doing Vickie! i hope you have a great week. i will be thinking of what you share in this post for a good bit of time i am sure.