Sunday, January 4, 2009

January 4, 2009

It's January already! I was not able to get computer access to update my blog for awhile, so I'll catch up on things now.

The Living Nativity went really well. It was so cooooold! Big sloppy wet snowflakes fell and the temp was low. It was uncomfortable, but very beautiful! The hot chocolate was a big hit, as was the Christmas caroling. Tom and Judy from North Carolina were in for the week and they helped all evening by making and giving out the hot chocolate and talking with people who stopped by. Barika and Jane from Parable stopped by to help awhile, too. Some Firemen stopped in and then got called away on a run. They came back after the run for more hot chocolate and conversation. It was fun to hang out with them. Lots of people stopped to find out who we were and why we were doing this. It's such a great way to share the free gift of Jesus with people at this special time. We were frozen and cold, but even got to make a mini snowman with a little girl who visited. Due to only having some twigs for decoration, it looked more like a snow alien, but we liked it anyway! God warmed our hearts and blessed many that night.

We had some up and down weather that last week before Christmas. Plans B and C and D and... were put into place for the volunteer teams, but everyone had a good time reaching out to the people of New York. Besides free giftwrapping on the streets, volunteers also helped serve meals at a couple of soup kitchens, helped with a party at Woodstock Sr Center, helped clean up the space, visited with some special 'homebound' people, prayer walked, visited Police and Fire Stations, and just shared some love with New Yorkers on the streets.

The last few weeks of December were very busy. Having the teams here was a blessing to me, as they always encourage me and refill my heart. Scott Rourk came up from GA to pick up all the 411 stuff (furniture, computers, supplies, materials, just about everything) and take it all back to liquidate. There was also a show going on through Dec 20th in the space, so we had to have everything cleaned up and set up for the show each night. Crazy! Parable did get to share some things with the church upstairs from the space. Pastor Ed said they were just praying about finding some of the things we were offering. He shared how God was working through Parable to bless their ministry, too. (I'm planning on helping their church start a mission program in the next few months.)

As of Dec 31, Parable Church is no longer burdened with the responsibility of the space. It is a very refreshing and uplifting feeling. We're thankful for all the opportunities for outreach that the space provided. And we will continue with the relationships that were established through that outreach. Now we are spending more time meeting with people all over the place. It's so fun (and sometimes tiring!) and a breath of fresh air for us in the ministry. I'm thankful to be able to spend the rest of my time here just concentrating on people. How exciting!!

Pastor Mike got the chance to spend 10 days in Egypt with 2 close friends. After all he has went through in 2008 it was a very welcome retreat for him. People who were out of the city for the holidays are returning and it will be good to have everyone back together soon.

God is providing opportunities for me to meet and share with people in unexpected ways. I'm enjoying that. It will be a busy and rewarding time in the next few months.

I really was blessed by all the cards and letters sent to me for Christmas. I especially love the pictures that everyone sent. Thank you!!! I received some 'Christmas cash' and spent a little on a video camera (love those Christmas sales!) and am saving the rest of the cash for groceries (my second love). Thank you for those blessings, too! Now I can send video back to my home church. (Just got to figure out how it works! ha)

My computer died and I relied deeply on the blessing of the BlackBerry phone (a MS church provided for me) to keep up with emails. I was so thankful for that! A wonderful group of people from a NC church sent me a refurbished laptop, so I can now get on the internet like normal people again. I am so thankful for these special gifts. Join me in saying a prayer of thanksgiving...

For those of you wondering... NO I did NOT go to Times Square on New Year's Eve. Are you crazy??? Standing around for HOURS with no food or drink or bathrooms in the single digit temps with below zero windchill? Not for me! I was cozy at home having a chat with my Lord. :)

I pray that everyone had a wonderful time of celebrating Jesus' birthday. New Years is a good time for reflection and expectation. God is working in my life and He has so many plans and blessings and challenges in store for me. Please join me in praying for clear direction and discernment of His plans.

I'll try to get more pics of NYC in winter and post them here on the blog. I just need to get the right software put on this computer and get organized. I promise to be better at correspondence in 2009!!

Blessings to you all!!

No comments: