Monday, May 18, 2009

May 18, 2009

It's Monday, just a 2 more days of being a New Yorker. I can't believe how fast these past 4 weeks has went by. Actually, I can't believe how quickly the past 2 years has gone by! More and more, I look at life as a series of seasons. God is so generous in the experiences He gives us. I'm very thankful.

Friday night, the guy came to pick up my bed. He is a med student at Columbia and just moved here from California. He also took the nightstand and I gave him a really good deal on the table and chairs. I'm glad to know that the furniture will be put to good use. I'm sleeping very well on the sofa, just like I did when I moved here. I'm so thankful that God lets me have wonderful rest times.

Saturday I met Andrew for brunch in Alphabet City on the Lower East Side. It was very yummy! I had a vegetable plate prepared with some good (and new to me) herbs and spices. We then walked around and made our way back to Union Square and Andrew's workplace. We saw a parade (they pop up all over the city for various reasons). I took a few pics. I found the people on stilts interesting. I walked around and took more pictures of interesting buildings and such. I met Christi for a smoothie after her dance class. I then took the train home for a very much needed nap. I had plans to see a show in my friends theatre, but was just too tired. I really wish I could have went to the show, but the old body could only take so much excitement for one day. ha

Sunday was a nice morning of Bible Study and a little more work on the 'stuff'. (remind me never to buy anything again...) Parable met in Bryant Park and then we proceeded to a diner for some food and fellowship. I got to share with everyone what God has shown me in the 'Twelve Extraordinary Women' Bible Study. I really enjoyed and grew through that study. Anyway, it was a really nice evening. I feel like God has eased me through the 'goodbyes'. We've all agreed it's more 'so long for now'. I'm so thankful for these wonderful friends and coworkers in God's work here in the city.

Today I was blessed to work with a special team of 6 from LA. I was really thankful to spend time with them. They are such a treat to work with, too. They understand how ministering to people is different in each location, and they are sensitive to being a blessing to the people they are serving and the missionary/ministry leader. They had a blast serving meals at Coffeehouse and Clinton Senior Center. They now have the information to connect with the Directors in the future and serve here anytime they come to New York.

I've been praying for God to show me how to use each day to accomplish His plan. I make a tentative game plan and each morning ask God to direct me. It gives me such a peace. Even in the midst of all the changes, as long as He is in control, I can follow His plans. He has helped me to continue to serve and minister to people in different ways as I've been spending lots of time on my relocation process. I didn't want this time to just be about me. I'm thankful for His coordination of everything each of these busy days.

Today was really nice. Early I caught Eduardo (a maintenance guy here at the apartments) to hand off some items that didn't sell, then I headed over to the post office to mail the last box of books (cheaper at the po), stopped to buy some blackberries from a street produce vendor, then went to close my nyc checking account (just enough money for shipping the last 2 boxes), then home to do a little computer work, then off to meet the team at their hotel. We visited in the lobby of the hotel and caught up on what God is doing in our lives. The team split up and I accompanied one group to Coffeehouse and got to say goodbye to Alfonso and Augustine... hugs all around. Then I stopped at a bank that has a change counting machine. I cashed in all that loose change and had plenty to buy my last nyc souvenir, a New York hoodie, from a store in the subway. I stopped by the TSAC building to say goodbye to Carmen in the rental office and also ran into Ed, the Pastor of the church on the 6th floor (divine appointment). Then I walked up 9th Ave to my favorite healthy juice bar and had one last carrot-orange-pear-ginger drink. It was sooooo good! I walked up to the Clinton center to meet up with the 2nd part of the team. I got to say goodbye and get hugs from the peeps there. It was nice to see everyone one last time before leaving.

The team took me out for lunch and I suggested Uncle Nick's Greek restaurant. It was a hit. I told the team to 'just stick with the fat chick and you'll find good food'! ha We all did enjoy the lamb and gyros very much. We then walked around a little, Firehouse at 48th & 8th Ave, a stroll down the Diamond District, a stop at Rockefeller Center, and a visit at St. Patrick's Cathedral. I left the team there for them to continue with their exploration of nyc. I walked up to catch a bus home and took some interesting pics on the way.

I quickly walked the last 2 boxes to the shipping place and celebrated that the boxes are all gone!! I picked up my dinner from Maoz, that great Mediterranean/Vegetarian restaurant that I have visited a lot these last 2 weeks. One last load of laundry (there was just enough credit left on my laundry card - perfect planning, Lord!). A double bag green tea and another dose of vit c and zinc to ward off the cold I felt was coming on. More connection with people via email and facebook. Catching up on the blog and then it's time for a good night's sleep.

It's been a good day. Besides all the great things happening here, I also found out that there is a car for me to use in Rogers, I'll have an office space at the church to work from, and I got a letter from the IRS confirming that they will allow me to make payments on the taxes I owe for 2008. It's been a very good day.

Tomorrow will be my last full day in nyc. It seems surreal. I'm so very thankful for the way God has worked out all the details of my life, especially 'assignments' like serving in nyc. When I try to look at the big picture more through God's perspective it helps to keep everything from being so overwhelming. God is so faithful in every little detail, every lesson to be learned, every encounter. I'm so thankful He watches over me. I'm so thankful that I am His.

No comments: