Tuesday, May 5, 2009

May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

It's been a week since my last post, but nothing much has been going on except for spending time at home sorting, packing, planning, Bible study, reading, and babying my body which has decided to revolt against life in general.

Connecting with people has been less in person and more through phone and email this week. So, even though I have been restricted to home, I have been able to continue the people business of my work. Sometimes there is no substitute for the opportunity of sharing your heart, uninterrupted and totally thoughtful, in a letter. Other times, a physical hug is all the words you need. It's the same with God. He speaks to us in so many different ways. And we can communicate with Him through multiple options.

When the weather was super nice over those 2 glorious weekends, I was able to celebrate and thank Him for the beauty of springtime in nyc. When it's rainy and I'm mostly inside, I can have quiet times in prayer, reading the Word and studying. I've loved the Bible study about 12 Extraordinary Women. It's a reminder of how unique God has created each of us, how specific He has planned our lives, how perfectly He has equipped us for His purpose, how forgiving He is when we interfere with those plans, how deeply He loves us, how sovereign He is and how worthy He is of honor and praise and love. I love having those quiet times. Not just a short time each morning, but long periods of just 'being' with Him. What a gift.

I have been a little frustrated with the rainy weather for the fact that it complicates the process of taking boxes to the shipping place, and also, taking donations to the shelters. I did get to make a couple of trips to ship boxes between the rain showers yesterday. I haven't minded living in just one room, but there is only so much room for boxes before everything comes to a stand-still.

I posted some items for sale on Craigslist yesterday and got lots of calls. If it quits raining long enough, there is quite a bit of stuff ready to walk out the door. Of course, everything that was on the shelving units is now stacked all over the apartment, but that's progress!!

I'm thankful for all the material things that God allowed me to use these last 2 years. This was a glum little basement room when I walked into it. God brought me wonderful bargains on things to make life here comfortable. It has really been a sanctuary for me here in this crazy busy city. I pray over each item as it goes to its new owner. I want them to get as much use and enjoyment as I got. I hope it blesses their home.

They have shown my apartment to about 4 people lately. One girl really liked it, but the timing didn't work out. They are going to re-carpet and paint and put in a new 'all in one' kitchen unit as well as a 'real' apartment size refrigerator! That will really doll the place up! A lot of students live in this complex. It's so close to Julliard and just down the road from the schools at Columbia and others. It's a pretty quiet neighborhood and I've loved living in the area. God blessed me with a perfect place for what He wanted me to have. Nothing fancy or too comfortable. Basic and with the potential to put my personal mark on it. Definitely full of memories.

In case you haven't noticed, lately I'm waxing sentimental. I've kept a journal and I'm so thankful for all of the things that God has brought me through while serving here in NYC. Even though I will be separated physically from people here, I know that I will be with them in Heaven and I look forward to that reunion!!

Okay, more packing to do and some more emails to take care of.
Have a blessed day.

No comments: