Friday, May 8, 2009

May 8, 2009

This is a copy of the letter that was sent to my prayer partners today.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US ALL!!!

It’s May 8, 2009. Exactly 2 years since I arrived in NYC to start this journey of serving. I can’t believe that 2 years has gone by. It has been an awesome time for me. Just as boarding that plane in NWA was an emotional moment, so is the return flight in less than 2 weeks.

How exciting to be on this ride that we call Life. I’m very reflective and sentimental as I prepare to leave the city. I think of all that I have been allowed to see God do here in the last 2 years. So many life touches, people finding Christ as Savior, luke-warm believers finding a renewed relationship with our God, people looking outside themselves and serving other people, volunteer teams learning a new aspect of missions, bonds created that will last past this life to heaven, sharing of burdens, and rejoicing together. I’ve been able to experience the joys of budding romantic relationships (my friends – NOT ME!), the sadness of losing loved ones, triumphs of career and educational programs, disappointments of artistic rejection and postponing life dreams. There has been sickness, both long and short term, life goals reached, the closing of certain chapters of ministry and the birth of awesome new ministries. It has been a very full experience.

There have been some ‘firsts’ in my life that have occurred here in the city. No big deal, really, except for the fact that I’ve enjoyed the type of culture here that encourages stretching and reaching beyond my comfort zone. Here’s a partial list. (I imagine you smiling as you read some of these.) In the past 2 years, I have learned to text on my phone, successfully read a subway map, learn to only purchase what I can carry home with 2 arms, travel on the sidewalks like a New Yorker (vs. like a tourist), tasted a Bubble beverage in Chinatown, ate lamb, fell in love with falafel and hummus, enjoyed gelato, dined on Indian and Mediterranean cuisines, carried a messenger bag (rather than a purse), fell in love with produce street vendors and farmer’s markets, tried sushi, received a tattoo for my birthday, become a fan of public transportation, met people from many, many countries (some I have never heard of before), learned a ton about the world of off-off-off Broadway theatre and actors and singers and dancers and… I’ve enjoyed meeting all types of people, from Pastors of all denominations to homeless street people to performers of various levels of fame to volunteer teams of varying levels of urban ministry understanding to, well, you get the idea.

This is definitely a place for people-watching and broadening your horizons! It’s also a great place to get a glimpse of God’s creation of earth. SO many nationalities and cultures in one place. It makes a person humbly realize that this world is a lot bigger than the western culture of North America. God has created every living being, and He loves each one as His own creation. We are merely a part of the whole population of the world. We are to first love God, and then love each other, no matter how much or little we resemble each other (inside or out). The one common denominator (and the only one that matters) is the bond of belonging to God, our Father. Making those connections should be our objective in life. And that can be done in as many ways as there are people.

We all fit into God’s plan to reach the world. We walk beside each other, send each other out to our various callings (be it fulltime missionary service, reaching people in our workplace, raising our families, etc), financially supporting a ministry, or lifting up people in prayer. Every part is God’s plan for reaching others in His name.

For the last 2 years I have been blessed to be a part of a Team to share Christ with people in New York. I’m just part of that team. I happen to be the feet. Many of you have been the financial support, and all of you have been the heart as you lift me up in prayer.

I’m so thankful to you for partnering with me on my journey to serve as a fulltime missionary, wherever God sends me, in the past, present and future. I can’t do this without you, and I truly believe that He intends for us to work together on each phase of His plan.

I’ve tried to be faithful in my communication through my blog (vickienyc.blogspot.com), and I hope that you have been blessed in reading about the people and places and experiences I’ve encountered these last 2 years. Due to privacy issues, I haven’t gotten to share a lot of details about people on the blog, but please feel free to have a conversation with me, and I’ll be glad to tell you more about how God has touched lives here.

Some of you receiving this email live in NWA and will see me in a few weeks. Some live in NYC and we will be saying ‘good-bye for now’ soon. Some of you live all over the country and we are now connected electronically. No matter where you are or how often we get to see each other, I treasure our relationship and our bond in Christ.

I wish you much happiness, good health and God’s love for yourself and your loved ones. I will continue to be in touch through the next phases of God’s plans for me (and you fellow team members). Our journey is not over. This is a milestone in that walk. So I want to say:
Happy Anniversary to us ALL!!

Following Him Always,
Vickie

No comments: