Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 20, 2009

Tuesday, May 19, was my last day in the city. I finished up some details at the apartment, cleaned it up and had the landlord inspection, dropped the cable box off at the cable office, met Mike for a snack and chat in a park, headed home for a visit from Jenny, and packed up everything except what I need for the morning of departure... I watched a movie (Baby Mama, which was funny) and tried to sleep. I didn't get much restful sleep as my mind was trying to process the fact that I was leaving my home in the city for the last time in the morning.

I woke up at 5am and spent a lot of time talking with God and writing in my journal. I felt sort of in a daze and could really feel God's grace and mercy over my emotions. I am truly excited about what God is planning for me and happy to be serving in Rogers, but I'm truly sad to be leaving NYC, too. I guess that means I am doublely blessed to have such strong emotions in both directions.

I got to say goodbye to Eduardo and let him in the apartment to get the rest of the stuff I was giving him. I turned in my keys to the rental office and sat on the stoop of my building surrounded by my luggage waiting for the car to pick me up for the ride to the airport. The driver was very nice, he drove very smoothly and safely and even used turn signals!! We made it to the airport in record time.

I checked in at curb-side which was wonderful to not have to wrestle my bags. Both checked bags were just over the 50 pound limit, but the guy let them slide, which probably had more to do with his hope of a nice tip than anything else... I parked myself at the food court for a plain whole grain bagel and orange juice. There was a table near a post with an outlet, so I charged up my phone the rest of the way. I got to work on a new Bible study for a while. The security check didn't take too long and I stopped by the restroom one last time before boarding the plane and made it to my gate just in time for my group to board. I was hoping to get a good view of the city when we took off. It all depends on which way they take off and such. Usually I just get a quick glimpse. This time we circled the city kind of low for some reason (smile) and I got to see it from every angle. It was awesome! I could pick out Lincoln Center which is at the end of my street! What a blessing from God to visually say goodbye.

The flight was good and I got a little nap on the way. It was a 4 hour trip to DFW for my connection. However, the pilot announced that there had been no head winds at all and we were getting in a whole hour early! I know it was because of all of the prayers for a good flight. Because of the early arrival, I had time to grab a bite of lunch before boarding again.

The flight to Arkansas was 46 minutes. I spent more time on a subway traveling across the city! We arrived in Rogers right on time. I was marvelling that everything looks so clean. Nothing like in nyc, even on a sunny day. Dont' get me wrong, nyc is beautiful in it's own way. It's just that everything just looks so much cleaner without the film in the air.

My friend Kellie picked me up at the airport and dropped me off at Nana Ruth's, where I'm staying for my first week or so. The door that was left unlocked for me ended up being locked, so I sat on the front steps surrounded by my luggage and reflecting that this is the way that I started my day, just in my other 'home city'. I also got the chance to sit and talk with God about things. It was very nice.

Nana Ruth and I went out for a quick dinner and then I crashed. It had been such a long day. I guess time travel can take it out of a person. It did feel like I had been transported to a different stage of life in a matter of mere hours. It was almost like the last 2 years in nyc were really only hours long, or that I hadn't left here at all. Maybe it was a dream. hmmm...

God is the creator and controller of time. He has the power to make moments fly by or last like slow motion. Time is precious and it makes me want to live in the moment and cherish each thought, feeling and encounter. I'm thankful for the way He has brought this so strongly to my mind this day. He is so awesome!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes me really happy to know that even if we're not running around crazy in the same city, I can still connect with you in other ways.

megan c said...

wow, what a great encouragement. you are such a great lady and friend. thanks for always being obedient to Him:)
can't wait to meet up with you again soon.
much love!