Friday, April 10, 2009

April 10, 2009

It's Friday night and I'm cozy-ed up on the couch with Nita (the little dog I'm 'sitting' for) burrowed under a cover. We're having a 'girls night in'.


This week has been good. I cut back a little on my scheduling and got to spend more 'quality time' with the people I was with.


Tuesday I was working on my Bible study and had just read a verse saying to be ready to assist others when I got a phone call from a friend needing me to run an errand for him. It was John Cooper, who has a small theatre at TSAC and was our neighbor when we had the Space. He just needed me to drop something off at a business a few blocks away, while he stayed at the theatre to build a set and clean up before rehearsal started later. I haven't had the chance to talk with him in person much, so it was nice to visit a little. This errand also gave me the chance to stop by my favorite health food restaurant and treat myself to some yummy organic, vegetarian grub. They had some good stuff! My favorite Indian curry stew over brown rice, steamed kale, and a wonderful casserole made with egg whites/tofu/zucchini/mushrooms - it looked like baked mud, but it was GOOD! I want to get some of their recipes. I need to learn to cook with tofu. Anyway, I hung out at Cooper's theatre until time to help with cleaning up the construction mess. We finished just in time for rehearsal. I always like helping in Cooper's place.


Wednesday was a hoot working at the Clinton senior center for their Easter party. Usually the people come through a serving line. For the party, we volunteers took the food to people as they sat at the tables. There was a salsa band and dancing. It was so fun to see everyone having a good time. They dances Salsa, the Electric Slide, and a few moves that I didn't recognize. They have dance classes every week and were very talented!


I then went up and across town to get my hair cut by my friend Allison. It was a free cut, which was nice. Allison is spending Easter in FL with family. I know she is having great weather! It's so interesting to talk with people about Passover and Easter. So many different ideas, beliefs, opinions... Such a great way to start conversations and share the Truth!


The bus ride back across town took an hour and a half due to one of the cross streets through the park being closed because a van hit a light pole. Crazy, crazy backup. Once we got across the park, I got off the bus at the first chance and walked!


Thursday I met with Mike at my nearest subway stop so that he could hand over Nita and then be on his way to catch a bus to PA to visit family. There was a small farmers' market near the subway stop on Thursdays. I picked up some apples and potatoes while I was walking through. Needless to say, Nita was a huge hit with everyone.


I met up with Ashley near Times Square and we stopped off for a quick salad before heading to Coffeehouse to serve dinner. It was still a little crazy, but I think some of the people were on their best behavior since Ashley was new to the scene. The food looked and smelled so good, but I only had peas. Being good is such torture sometimes!


Today I went uptown to my Doctor's office to get my blood test done for next week's checkup. They ended up being closed for the holiday. I guess I'll head back up on Monday. Anyway, I came home and had my super-oatmeal and headed over to Clinton center to serve lunch. I met a new senior who also volunteers. She's a hoot and I enjoyed talking with her. The people got little chocolate bunnies on their trays today. They liked it.


I stopped off at Whole Foods on the way home and picked up a few healthy goodies for the weekend. There were tons of people in there as usual. I sometimes learn important info about foods when there. They have interesting details on their signs. For instance, today I learned about 3 different types of sweet potatoes and yams. Which one is sweetest, which one is more moist, etc. I studied a little about soy cheese, but decided to wait on buying any. Healthy stuff is so expensive some times. I always like to look around in that store. It makes me think of how God created so many plants and foods, and how I haven't heard of most of them. It's very interesting and tasty to explore!


I'm going to spend the day inside tomorrow since it's supposed to be rainy. I want to spend time on my studies and reading and just sit at Jesus' feet for a while on this very special weekend. I'm really looking forward to that. I pray that everyone will have special time with God in the midst of all the plans for this weekend. It's a wonderful time to share with family. I smile when I think of the kids enjoying the fun of springtime celebration of Easter AND also learning the true meaning of the Easter and celebrating that.





Here's a pic of Nita. She weighs a little over 2 pounds. Isn't she cute?

Nita is telling me that she is ready for bed, so I guess I should tuck her in and put myself to bed, too. I'm glad she's here to keep me on track. Just another little bit of JOY!

1 comment:

cindysig said...

I think you're going to have to get yourself a Nitadawg. :-)
She is a cutie.