Friday, April 17, 2009

April 2009 Announcement Letter

This is a copy of the letter that went out to all my prayer partners and supporters.
PLEASE pray for me as I continue on this journey with the Lord.

In a few weeks I will be celebrating my 2 year anniversary of serving as a Missionary in NYC. It feels as though the time has flown by. At the same time, it feels that I have been a part of this city for a long while. I have been so blessed to be called here and be grown by the experiences, whether easy or difficult. God is holy and sovereign. I love following Him and trying to be obedient to His direction.
One of the things that God has taught me is that everything in this life is for a season, and that only God knows how long each season is to last. Part of obedience is discerning the plan set before us, another part is following the plan because it is the way He wants to use you for His kingdom.
I’ve spent the last few months in prayer about what the next phase of my serving relationship with God is to be. As much as I love living and ministering here in NYC, I realize that God is calling me to a change. I have been so honored to be a part of the transition of the411nyc to the humble and honest ministry of Parable Church, which functions as an effective small group ministering to people in Manhattan. I have enjoyed working with the teams who have come to volunteer in NYC. There are so many people that I have gotten to know and call friend. The Parable members have indeed become my family and I will miss them very much. The last 4 months of getting to spend more of my time volunteering in the soup kitchens and centers have been so awesome!
The next season of my life will be spent as a ‘Missionary in Residence’ at my home church, First Baptist Church of Rogers AR. I will serve there throughout the remainder of 2009 assisting with the overall Missions ministries, with special focus on the Local programs and opportunities. I will continue to live as a missionary in the fact that I will require only a bedroom to stay in and a borrowed vehicle for transportation. I will not receive a salary, but instead will continue to receive the monetary support pledged from the church through 2009. I pray that those individuals who have personally supported me as a missionary in NYC will continue to do so as I serve in Rogers.
Along with concentrating on the Mission programs and opportunities of FBCR, I will also focus on my pursuit to become fluent in Spanish, continue on recouping my health, and preparing to go on to the next ‘assignment’ when God makes that call known.
I appreciate all the prayers, love and support that you have shown me while I have been in NYC. I ask for your continued prayers as I leave a city I have come to love, with people who have become like family to me. Please pray that my practical needs will be met back in Rogers, that my health will continue to improve, that I will be able to share my passion for missional living with others, and that people will be able to see Jesus in my life.
I originally thought that I would have till the end of summer to make the transition, but God’s timing is different, and of course, perfect. I also thought that when it was time to leave, I would be sick of the city. But that type of obedience is easy. God is growing me even more by allowing my heart to be a part of both NYC and Rogers AR. I’m happy and sad at the same time. But most of all I’m honored to let my obedience to Him be a witness regarding the trust and faith that I have in Him. He is awesome and worthy to be praised (and obeyed). There is JOY in serving Him.
Blessings to you and please join me in celebrating as I’m:Following Him Always!

2 comments:

John and Maria said...

i didn't know about this, ms. vickie. your obedient submission and anticipation is an encouragement to me. guess this is a reminder that only God truly knows what His best is for us. i know it will be such a blessing for FBCR to have you back in their midst. local missions has always been a burden on my heart for that church and i pray your presence there will kindle such a passion for that. praying for you! love - maria

Anonymous said...

Wow I din't know I have not been on in awhile. I will be praying and if I'm in Rogers I will call you. If you are in Joneboro you do the same.