Wednesday, June 4, 2008

August 20, 2007

Hello to everyone!
I hope you are having a wonderful summer. Can you believe it's almost the end of August already? Time has flown by for me here in the big city. (I'm on my 4th MetroCard.) The rest of the year will be busy with planning for 2008 and finishing up some important events. I'm looking forward to it all.

Well, I'm an official New Yorker now. I had my wallet stolen last week. Actually, someone came in the 'space' while some of us were here and walked out with my wallet and one of our church laptops. We were quick to notice and the culprit left the laptop on the steps of the exit stairs. We called the police, and the banks to freeze the accounts, etc. (Believe it or not, I had been talking to the culprit just before he took off and didn't even know it. He must think I'm a very friendly victim!) Anyway, we found my wallet in the stairwell (minus the cash) and life goes on. This experience has actually opened doors to conversations since this has happened to a lot of people. I also got to have a nice converstaion with the local police, too. I promised we would make lunch for their precinct next time we have that mission. I lot around $50 and had been praying for a way to make it back (like babysitting or something). God answered that prayer before the money was even stolen by encouraging a lovely lady from back home to send me $100 love offering. That check was in the mail before the wallet was even taken. I receive the check the very next day in the mail. That's God's timing for you!

Next Sunday we will be having a baptism service at Brighton Beach. Plase be in prayer about this special worship service that we take out into the 'streets'. We have 3 new believers and we're praying that their schedules will allow them to be there.

God has been bringing in so many new people to the Artist's Lounge each week. We've had some really good Highriser (small group) meetings. We have been going through "Experiencing God' as a church in the Highriser groups and then Pastor Scott's message on Sunday wraps up that week's lesson. It has been great for new believers and the rest of us alike. I love the atmosphere of discipleship and fellowship that our church has.

Mike Petrow, our new Teaching Pastor will be here full time in September. He is still working on raising his support and getting other churches involved in our ministry. It will be great to have him on board. Scott and his family just spent a week on a much needed vacation. We're still in prayer for our new Worship Leader and Children's Minister. Please keep those needs in your prayers, also. And pray for our Space Manager needs.

The renovation of the Studio is continuing in baby steps. It takes longer when the work depends on volunteer labor and donated funds for materials. But it gives us a chance to discuss how God is bringing this all about through partnerships with others. Otherwise, it would just be another contracted renovation. Pray blessings on those who are making this possible.

We are praying for those God has chosen to be involved with our Theatre renovation, too. That is a much bigger undertaking. All of these improvements make our space more usable as rentals to people who we would normally not get a chance to witness to. God has made some great opportunities to share Him with those coming through our doors. Pray for the renovation and all the people we meet here in the space. (I sure miss you handy-men back at FBC Rogers!)

Our Artist's Lounge is going strong. (It's a room with a donated sofa, 3 donated PCs with wireless, minifridge, microwave, etc. to be used by artists who want to come hange out.) We have made some wonderful contacts with people coming in. Our sofa is so comfortable that 3 different people came in one day just to take a nap! People using our Artist's Lounge get to hear about Jesus as we are conducting 'business' and they get to meet some 'church people' without feeling intimidated. I love having visitors in the Lounge. I've met some pretty special people. Some are asking tons fo questions about God and how our lives as Christians are different from lives without God. It's awesome. I'm sure this winter we will have even more people coming 'in from the cold' so please keep the Artist's Lounge in your prayers as we make it even more welcoming.

The office here is coming together a little more each week. I try to find time to organize and make procedures to work more efficiently. Of course, a couple of weeks ago we had the ceiling above my desk fall in from a water leak and it knocked out one of our donated computers. And we have had all kinds of computer and printer problems. (even our label maker was broke for a while!) But God is good and we march on doing His work no matter what!

Thank you for your prayers for my friend Angel (my former Little Sister with Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization). Her mother passed away last Tuesday. The family is doing okay and believes that Kelly is in Heaven with Jesus. Angel is not ready to talk much, but her stepdad, Chris, (who by the way, I think has been a wonderful addition to their family) has shared a lot about Kelly and her passing. Please pray for the rest of the family as they go through this hard time. Pray they find the peace and comfort that can only come from a saving relationship with Jesus.

My neighbors, Josh and Tiffany, have not come to church yet. I haven't seen Tiffany in weeks, but see Josh about every 2 weeks or so. Our schedules are just so different. But please keep them in your prayers as they have shown interest in coming to church. Pray I get the chance to talk with them more. I've met a few more people in my building. I thank you for making it possible for me to live where I do. Please pray for more opportunities to meet and share with my neighbors.

The 'kids' that come to visit me have been getting into trouble and I haven't seen them much lately. Please pray for ways for me to make a good difference in their lives. There is so much they need to overcome. They need a lot of prayer cover.

Please pray for those who God has chosen to come to NYC. Partnerships are so important to our ministry, and we treasure them all.

Know that I'm thankful for each of you and send you God's blessings.

No comments: