Thursday, June 5, 2008

February 2008

Hello Everyone!
Sorry it's been so long since my last letter at the end of 2007. I've been busy in January getting ready to go to Thailand and then I was serving in Thailand with my home church (FBC Rogers AR) from Jan 27-Feb 14. It was a wonderful trip and God blessed me and spoke to me in many ways through many people.

It was very humbling to work at being a blessing to those who live and serve in East Asia. They are very special people living simple lives in sometimes hard circumstances. Playing with their children was so much fun. Our area (Preschool) worked with 147 kids from birth through Kindergarten. There were some long days and lots of work, but everyone involved was blessed.

I loved being able to see so many of my church family from FBC Rogers. My hotel room was next to the Medical Clinic so I got to see my buds who work the clinic back at the church in Rogers. I felt very safe each night, too, since there were 2 guards for the clinic. Maybe they were there to protect the clinic from me?? Hum...

It was very interesting to be focused on the work and the needs of the kids and then look up and see the ocean out the window. It would take me by surprise many times. I loved seeing a part of God's earth half way around the planet, but I don't think I want to travel internationally very often. Thailand was exactly 12 hours opposite from NYC, so when I needed to call someone 'back home' I had to remember not to call them during their night time. Of course, a few people didn't realize I was there and I got a few calls in the middle of the night. But that's okay. I'm intrigued to see as much of God's creation as possible before I meet Him in Heaven. (I wonder what time zone Heaven is on...)

On the way to work today I saw my friend Kenneth, who is a guard at Lincoln Center. He said 'long time no see'. I told him I was in Thailand for almost 3 weeks and he wanted to know why I didn't take him with me. I've been walking past his post almost daily for 9 months now. It was nice to know that he noticed when I was not there. Maybe soon we can have a more lengthly conversation. (and more focused on Jesus) It just takes time to get to know people in NYC.

I arrived back home about 9pm on Thursday night. I could make out some of the landmarks in the night time lights as we flew over Manhattan and Queens. It was good to feel back at home. (it was good to get off of airplanes after 30 hours of travel, too!) When I walked outside the airport to catch a taxi into the city, I heard the horns honking and knew I was back. It was wonderful to see everyone back in church yesterday, too. I've grown very fond of the411 church family. I'm glad that God brought me here to love on them.

Speaking of the411, we are going through some growing pains right now and could sure use your prayers. We need to make some decisions and some changes, and they won't all be easy. Pray for discernment of God's will, love and tenderness for each other as we share in love what God has revealed to each of us, boldness and courage to carry on the work as God directs us, and protection from the enemy as he seems to like to get in the middle of God's people when they are at work. May He be glorified in all we do.

Remember my friends Tiffany and Josh? They have moved and Josh is in school in Kansas. Tiffany is spending her time between NYC (sleeping on people's couches) and in Kansas. She is finishing her acting classes here. Josh proposed to her right there in my apartment while I was in Thailand. He had some of the 'kids' from the neighborhood each hand her a red rose and then he got down on one knee and popped the question. Tiffany was very happy. She will be in the city for most of the next few months. I hope to get to spend more time with her.

I met my new neighbor who moved in to Josh and Tif's old apartment. He seems nice. I think he's a med student at Columbia, but I'm not certain. We don't keep the same hours but I hope to get to know him better.

I've been thinking about many of you lately. It's funny how God brings people across my path that resemble someone from back home. It reminds me to pray for that person. I wish I could tell you each how much you mean to me and how much your prayers and support bless me. I'll have to rely on God to give your hearts a big hug.

Speaking of hugs, it was awesome to get to hug a few special people in Thailand...like the Ballingers, the McGimpseys, Elaine Bridges and Jana Harp. It was good to talk to each of them.

Winter here is pretty quiet as far as mission teams. We're going to give out blankets to the homeless after church this Sunday. A partner church sent us 79 blankets this week. The next two months will be cold and wintry here, so I pray that these will bless many.

Melvin came over the other evening to visit. I had not seen him much since school started. I haven't seen the girls since I've been back from Thailand. It was nice to quietly have a conversation with Melvin and not have others fighting for attention. All the kids are missing Tiffany a lot. I brought them all back trinkets from Thailand. It will be fun to have them over to play games.

Please pray for me to get some sleep. My apartment is in the basement and next to the 'boiler room'. Our building, like many in NYC, has hot water heat. One of the pumps has a very loud squealing motor right on the other side of my wall. It is horrendous!!! It screeches for about 30 minutes every few hours during the night. I have complained every day last week. This week I will tell the rental office that I'm going to deduct money on my March rent for every day it's not fixed. The other tenants in the basement hear it, too, and have complained, but my bed is just a wall a way from it. I'm starting to get a little cranky! Please pray that the situation gets resolved and in a 'Christian' manner. I can't wait for a full night's sleep!

It's funny sometimes to be walking down the street and realize that I live in NYC. I know that sounds strange, but sometimes I'm so involved in thinking about what I'm doing here that I forget where 'here' is. It's a struggle living here and working for the Lord in a dark place is hard, but what an opportunity God has given me to do this. Even with the struggles we are having at the411 right now, I feel priviledged to be serving here. Please cover me in prayer as I try to always be obedient to what God has for me each day.

I'm on my 10th MetroCard. Hard to believe. They are raising the cost of the unlimited ride cards from $76 to $81 in March. It still beats a car payment, insurance and gas! I love taking the bus. And when I need to get somewhere quickly, the subway is usually the best. Of course, I love walking and can't wait for the weather to be so that I can walk to work everyday.

Teams are calling to commit to trips this summer. It will be very busy. It's a lot of hard work getting ready for them. Lots of planning and getting permits and making contacts here is sometimes like pulling teeth. But the blessings are very much worth it. Usually when a team gets here I'm tired of planning the project. But when I see their excitement it rejuvenates me. And, of course, when you're out on the streets blessing people in the name of Jesus, it's the best!

Be still and listen to God's heart. Be obedient in your life and good stewards of everything, including your time.

No comments: