Wednesday, June 4, 2008

July 19, 2007

Blessings to you all from little ole Me in big ole NYC!

My goodness! Can you believe how time is flying by so fast? I remember counting the days before my first 30 day MetroCard expired. This past month, the 30 day renewal snuck up on me. What a difference a month makes! I'm learning more and more about living in NYC. It's a very different culture and hard to describe to those who have not been here or even those who have just visited in the past. I'm thankful that God is making the transition easy for me. It's still a challenge in many ways, but I love being here and doing what He has called me to do. Thank you for making it possible.

Please forgive me for not writing sooner, but we have been very busy here at the411nyc. Just know in your heart that I think of you often and thank God for you in my prayers. Your prayer and financial support sustains me. As I see people of things that remind me of people 'back home' I say a prayer of blessing for that person at that moment. It's kind of cool to see how God finds different ways to bring you to mind. Please continue to keep me in your prayers as well.

Let me start this report by praising our awesome God! He is so busy all around us and He has been faithful in showing us here at the411 where we can join in His work. The last few weeks have been packed with people, projects, prayers and praise!

Here's a summation of what's gone on in the THREE WEEKS between June 24 and July 14:
  • 8 church groups consisting of 203 volunteers worked with us
  • 10,000 packs of gum were given out in the neighborhood with 10,000 invitation cards for VBS and Basketball Camp
  • 40 cases of water were given out on the street with the411nyc ministry cards
  • 60 bags of trash were picked up from the streets in our neighborhood
  • 790 man hours of servant work (soup kitchens, work for our tenant neigbors, etc)
  • 700+ hours of prayer walking
  • 200 man hours spent painting murals for Gifted Hands, an outreach organization (and 1 for our studio) Thank you to the students of Savannah School of Art and Design!
  • renovations in the411 space: new wall built (to expand studio), huge storage shelves built around 4 walls, Studio and Office were painted, supplies and materials were organized
  • 4 used computers (donated by the UN) were installed in the Artist's Lounge to bless our visitors (big outreach for us)
  • 1 donated upright piano was delivered, tuned and ready to bless through music
  • 5 days of VBS and Upward Basketball Camp with over 100 kids in total attendance
  • 10 new families joined us for a Family Block Party (where we all enjoyed dozens of hotdogs, popcorn, cotton candy, drinks and games)
  • 4 missionaries we partner with in Germany, the Fenwicks, visited with us for a few days
  • 1 new Sister in Christ, Kyla! Cover her family in prayer as she grows in her walk with Christ
  • and lots of PRAISE for our God!
Add to these praises the following:
  • Misti, our new part-time Space Manager, who takes care of scheduling the rental of our space to our 'clients' (this is a big outreach for us)
  • Mike Petrow will join the staff in September as Associate Teaching Pastor (pray for him as he raises his support and moves to NYC)
  • We're tearing down the old wall and putting down flooring this week in our Studio expansion
Please keep these things in your prayers:
  • Kirsten who will be moving to LA this month to pursue her PhD. I'll miss her so much
  • Our search for a new Worship Leader (Kirsten was filling this role)
  • 3 volunteer teams coming in next week to work the next mission which ministers to the Police, Firemen and Parks in our area
  • Salvation for those who we touch through our ongoing outreach efforts
  • Plans that are being drawn up for the Theatre renovation
  • Construction teams to come up and complete the Theatre renovation
  • Funds for the construction materials for the renovation
  • Artery - our major outreach to the arts community will be held in October, pray for preparations
  • Vision Tour for current and potential partner churches will be Oct 15-17
  • Pray for Josh & Tiffany, my neighbors who have expressed interest in the411 worship
  • 'the kids' in my neighborhood who visit me
  • Lynn, Chris, E, Hugh and others who visit the Artist's Lounge regularly
  • Our High-riser Groups (small groups) as we fellowship and disciple 411 attenders
  • Our Staff: Scott, Kristen, Vickie, Danny, Misti, Mike-coming in September
  • Ministry Staff search for a Children's Minister and a Worship Leader
  • The411nyc church family as we follow up with those touched through our summer missions
  • My continuing health and strength
  • And please pray blessings for all those who have joined me as supporters
On a personal note, I have been able to spend some time this past week visiting with more of the411 family and to explore more parts of the city that I haven't seen yet. There is still so much to do and see in this city. I love seeing so many people on the trains and buses and streets. It makes me think about how big this world is that God has created. Just in this city alone, there are millions of people who need Jesus. I love to 'people watch' and say a blessing over them as I notice them in quick encounters. It's been a wonderful experience to see how God has given me boldness to share my story, tell about the411nyc and invite people to learn more about Jesus.

I'll be going through the process of getting my NY driver's license in the next few weeks. Yes, I will need to drive on occasion. Mostly to Queens, Brooklyn or New Jersey to pick up supplies for missions. There is a company called ZipCar, where you can rent a vehicle by the hour or the day and pick it up from different places around the city. The411nyc has a ZipCar account and I've been added. I'm not particularly looking forward to driving here, but I'll definitely let you know when to pray about that and also to tell you about the experience! Ha! (although, I have driven in Monterrey Mexico before, so this shouldn't be too bad in comparison!)

My 'apartment' is still cozy and welcoming to me. I'm not there much as New Yorkers spend most of their time out. But when I do come home each day I feel very comfortable and peaceful. Your love, prayers and support make this possible. God is so faithful in His love and provision. Join me in thanking Him for allowing me to be here doing His work.

Thanks for the calls, letters and emails!

No comments: