Wednesday, February 11, 2009

February 11, 2009

It's Wednesday evening and I feel like I've lost most of the week by being sick. I'm praying that this cold/virus thing is the only one for the winter and spring. I know, it could be worse and could be the flu, but I just hate being 'held down' by sickness. Especially since I'm feeling so much better after the bout with my liver this fall. I'm just whiny today, I guess. Seriously, I'm thankful for every day that God gives me, no matter how I feel. (I just like to feel good!)

I've had the chance to get a lot more computer work done this week so far, since I haven't been able to serve in the shelters. Working from home has its advantages. And by not running across the city each day, I'm staying on top of my reading and Bible study. Good stuff.

I'm praying for friends who have had some difficult moments this week. Family illness, brutal deaths of friends, relationship issues, loss of income, personal sickness, etc. So many challenges for so many people. But we are held in the hands of a big God who knows every situation, tear and anxious breath. God has the answer for every concern, no matter how big or small. He takes good care of us, even when we don't see it because we're looking for 'our' version of the solution. Through every situation, He gives us the best gifts of all: His love and the chance to trust Him more with each day. I'd rather cling to Him through the roughest times than to have all I desire in a materially secure world. I do have to remind myself of that sometimes when I begin to fret over things. I'm glad to have reminders of how faithful He is in the provision of love, peace, assurance, faith, grace, mercy and promise. When we have eternal life with Him promised to us, how can we rightfully feel deprived on the journey? (I need to read this to myself daily.) And I'm thankful that He is forgiving over and over, as I have to be repeatedly reminded of His faithfulness. What a God we serve.

I'm working on what to bring with me to the missions conference at my home church, FBC Rogers AR, next month. I'm so excited to get to see everyone. It's an exciting homecoming. (can you imaging how more exciting the 'big homecoming' will be?) I try to think of what I can share so that people back home can really understand what life is like here in NYC, not just for me, but for the people who live here. I believe that to really effectively pray for people, you need to understand as much as possible about their lives. God knows all about each of us, but lifting someone up to Him grows us, too. The more we can understand others and their walks, the more we can appreciate just how big God is and how He can minister to them all in all their needs. And through that understanding and compassion, God can use us more effectively.

I wish I could bring all my friends from NYC with me to Rogers and introduce everyone to each other. I'd love for them all to know each other the way I do. I guess by doing all I can to help everyone have a relationship with Jesus, I'll be helping make it possible for everyone to finally meet in Heaven someday. One of the best Joys I can think of is to be surrounded by everyone I love and worshipping together at the Father's feet. Now, that's something to look forward to!!

In the meantime, I'll just try to put together some pictures and stories about my life here in NYC and how God has blessed me with so many people to meet, great friends to worship and serve with, and opportunities to share about Him. I'll leave it to God to help people understand how special each other is.

I'm off to make a salad. Even though my mouth can't really taste anything with this cold, I know that the salad is good for my body. Isn't that like our walk with God sometimes? Even though we don't always get immediate gratification, we know there are things that are good for us and we should follow through? (and that makes those tasty days even yummier!!)

Blessings & Joy!!

No comments: