Saturday, February 21, 2009

February 21, 2009

Saturday morning. Nita decided I should wake up a little earlier than I would have liked, but, as a good host, I tried to please my house guest. Of course, she is napping all morning long while I'm up and about. Ahhh, a dog's life...

My laundry is caught up for the week, so I'm using the extra time this morning for some reading and Bible study (and blogging). I'm going to meet a friend for tea this afternoon. Then it's back to the computer to work on ministry stuff. Nita will be going home today. She snuck a text message to her mommy by using my phone yesterday. She's a pretty smart dog.

Thursday night at Coffeehouse was fun. Alfonso, Rhondalee, Clearance, Augustine, Derek and I were all working. It's fun to get to know them better each week. After my shift was over, I met a few friends for a movie. I've only been to 2 movies while living here and they were both in somewhat normal buildings. This movie house is in an old building on 42nd street and has 25 theaters. Our particular movie was showing on the 5th floor. I really enjoyed the escalator rides up and down the building. (for some reason I like escalators. Macy's has 9 floors with new and old escalators - what fun!) Anyway, my friends find it funny that I enjoy such simple things. Oh yeah, the movie was good, too.

It has been really cold and windy for a few days. I've been walking a lot this week so I've been dreaming of spring. But it's been good to feel well enough to walk a lot like I used to.

Yesterday I enjoyed working at Clinton Sr Center. During lunch, there was a group who did an old fashioned radio show. The clients seemed to enjoy it, even though many of them only speak Spanish. I didn't recognize the names of the actors, but their voices sounded familiar from TV and movies. One of the other volunteers and I were discussing weather and seasons, mother nature and God's creation. My perfect wish is 1 month of winter, 1 month of hot summer, 5 months of spring and 5 months of fall. I think maybe heaven will like that?? :)

After the lunch shift, I met a friend for a healthy smoothie at Jamba Juice in Times Square. It was a central location to meet, otherwise I try to stay out of the midst of Times Square. I still get impatient with the tourist traffic on the sidewalks. Oh how New York of me! I need to work on that attitude!

Last night I got to reconnect with a friend from AR that I haven't spoken with for a long time. She was one of the first people I met with I moved to AR in 1990. She doesn't enjoy computers much and I'm more into communicating through email and blog these days. We finally got the chance to use the good old telephone! It will be so great to see her when I visit AR next week.

Well, I think I'll join Nita in a quick nap before I head out for the afternoon. I think I could learn to love being a dog. At least one as cute as Nita.

She's my JOY for today!

1 comment:

cindysig said...

Oh my. My cat is 4x bigger than that dog! Are you tempted to get your own, now? :-)
What movie did you see?