Wednesday, February 4, 2009

February 4, 2009

It's Wednesday and the week seems longer, but in a good way. God has really been blessing me with lots of opportunities to talk with and work with many people each week lately. Every encounter and conversation is like a gift to me. There is so much to learn when you stop to really interact with people. I'm very thankful that my 'job' is to invest my time in people. I don't deserve this privilege, and I won't take it for granted. Please pray for me to always see (and hear) people from God's perspective; to be ready to share Christ in the way most appropriate for them to see (and hear) Him.

Friday and Monday I enjoyed serving lunch at Clinton Sr. Center, which is just 9 blocks from my place. It's so convenient. One of the things I really love about the Clinton center is that most of the clients are Hispanic. I enjoy hearing them speaking, especially when I can recognize some of the words. They are a very friendly bunch, too. Right after lunch, there are activities they can choose to participate in, including dance lessons, computer classes, and of course, Bingo! I'm going to drop off some little 'prizes' to be used for Bingo. (you can send me some things to use for prizes if you wish - or even better, check out the senior centers in your area and donate to them!)

Just one of the blessings of volunteering with the Seniors is to get to hear their stories. Such interesting lives. Even if they may be living a very simple existence now (or even be homeless in NYC), they have not always been in their current situation. And in this world of high expectations, it's nice to have a relationship with someone who just wants to visit and talk. There is nothing as precious as spending your time with someone. It's a true gift of yourself.

Sunday I got to spend time with my friend Ashley. She came up to my neck of the woods and we had salads outdoors at a nearby restaurant. It was a little chilly, but the sun was out and it was nice to be outside. We then went shopping at my favorite store - Whole Foods, and picked up snacks for the Parable Superbowl get-together. I bought stuff I could eat, like hummus, carrots, baked organic corn chips, roasted soybean and corn kernels, and a whole pineapple (which was on sale, but we never did cut open). Ashely tried her best to find the fixin's for Rotel dip. No Rotel in the Upper West Side, so she settled for salsa to add to the Velveeta and ground beef. We came back to my place and cooked up the dip. (it smelled so good!) We finally made our way to the East Side for the get-together. Needless to say, people loved the dip. The transplanted southerners were happy to see an old favorite, and the non-Southerners gobbled it up, too.

I visited with my friend Allyson who cuts my hair. She's moved over to the East Side and I take 2 buses for about an hour (one-way) trip. But I enjoy talking with her and she's always happy to talk about God. And she enjoys chopping my hair off! She's from Guyana, and I love her accent!

Last evening, I met my friend Cody for dinner. We went to Chinatown. Cody is Chinese and moved to NYC when he was about 2 years old. He knows all the good places to eat! He ordered our dinner speaking Chinese, so I had no idea what we were getting till it came to the table. It was very good and I tried using my chopsticks until hunger won out and I had to switch to a fork. Then we went next door to a bakery and had Bubble Tea drinks. Actually, instead of tea, we both had Bubble Fresh Fruit drinks. Mine was like a strawberry smoothie with the large black tapioca 'bubbles'. You get a big fat straw for sucking up the bubbles (or pearls, as they are also called). The bubbles are kind of chewy and really don't have any flavor, but they are kind of fun.






I always like a new adventure. Cody is always great about showing me new places and things about NYC. Cody and I always have good, deep conversations. We can be totally honest about things, even when we don't agree. He encourages me and challenges me and blesses me. Please keep Cody in your prayers as he continues his journey in having a deeper relationship with our Father.

Today, I'll be meeting with my friend Jenny after her shift of interning at Amy's Bread. We'll grab a bite to eat and talk about cooking and nutrition and stuff like that. Jenny has offered to help me with my Spanish. Her family is from Puerto Rico and she has lived in NYC all her life. She loves cooking and especially baking. We also have some open and interesting conversations about God. I'm so thankful for all those in my life that keep me seeking and searching and growing in my walk with Him.

Another thing I am thankful for here in NYC is that God has surrounded me with people who have such a variety of interests. With each friendship, I'm allowed to grow in a different way. And yet, we have a common bond of seeking a meaningful relationship with the Father. Even those people I am acquainted with who aren't Christians are seeking a meaningful relationship of some kind. That's where God provides those opportunities to share how important He is in my life.

I caught up on reading Bro. Wes George's (Sr Pastor at my home church, FBC Rogers AR) yesterday. I am encouraged about his words explaining the need to be authentic salt and light in whatever circumstances God places us in. We are all created by God, but not all created for the same walk in life. He knows best how to use each of us. We need to be obedient to be ready so that we can be aware of the needs (physical, emotional, spiritual) of people around us. Please pray that I stay aware and ready to share Him.
Now I'm heading out into the cold for lunch with Jenny and then to the soup kitchen to serve tonight. My heart goes out to all those who have no home tonight. It will be bitterly cold. I'm thankful that some will have a hot meal and at least a chair to sleep in at GCN. Please pray not only for those who seek refuge in the shelters, but also for all those workers who make the shelters possible. Especially during this time of recession when a lot of the agencies are hit with budget cuts.
I'm praying for friends in AR that are still without power. I'm thankful that it will only be for a while and not permanent. I pray for safety in the cold for everyone. I pray for the warmth of God's love in everyone's heart.
Blessings!!

1 comment:

cindysig said...

Lose power for a week and I get SO far behind on reading blogs. I had a lot of catching up to do!

Why are you not having to monitor the Space anymore? Does anyone?

What kind of prizes do they give at Bingo? Do these kinds of things work? They don't seem to be very expensive.
http://showip.be/url/ecc or
http://showip.be/url/ech

We served over 130 people today at Samaritan...less than what I expected after the ice storm! Sonic donated lunch today.......yum.