Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19, 2009

It's Thursday afternoon. I love Thursdays. I have no standing appointments until late afternoon, so that gives me the morning and early afternoon for 'chores' and extra time on Bible study and reading. I do a little catching up on work related projects, but try to keep the day for soaking up what God reveals through this special time with Him. I meet Him every morning during quiet time and journal my thoughts and love that time, too. But this extra special time on Thursdays is kind of like a special date between Father and daughter. It feels good.

I've had a good week. Tuesday night was really an encouraging time for me. It's when a few of us gals get together for Bible study (Twelve Extraordinary Women of the Bible). This week it was just 2 of us due to sickness. It was a great conversation of Hannah, being filled with grace, trusting God, and also talking about what's going on in our lives and with Parable. God shows me so much everyday. As you know, I'm celebrate the 'simple' and He gives me lots of opportunities to see Him at work in simple ways. I ended up walking to Bible study from GCN (a little over 2 miles) and it was a good bit of exercise since the weather keeps me from walking as much as before and I miss it. I had fruit and green tea for dinner while we chatted. My body was happy by the end of the evening. And my heart felt hugged by the encouraging conversation with Erin.

Yesterday I worked at GCN again for dinner. Some of the clients are feeling more familiar with me and thanking me for volunteering. That blesses me more than they can know. After serving the dinner rush I volunteered to peel potatoes. I got half way through the 50 pound bag before it was time for me to go. My mind kept humming the tune "you're in the Army now"... I really enjoy working there. Serving the gang is fun and I even enjoy cleaning up the kitchen because I know that it blesses the regular workers. It's so nice to feel like people are being blessed by what you do. God has put me in a good place here in NYC. I see His hand in so many things. I know He is guiding my ministry here. I'm just along for the ride. He's so good.

I'm puppy sitting a little Chorkie (Chihuahua and Yorkie mix) named Nita. She's a little over 2 pounds and cute as a button. It's just for a few days and I'm enjoying having her here. Mike and Jen are out of town for a few days and they know that I treasure her. I sent them a pic of her on an email message so they will know that she is being spoiled.


After serving dinner at Coffeehouse tonight, I'm meeting some friends to see a movie. I don't usually spend the money on a movie here, but I'm going more for the fellowship with these friends who I don't get to see much except at Parable once a week. It will be fun to spend time with them.

I've gotten requests from people who were 'referred' to me about assisting them in setting up opportunities for their teams to serve in NYC. I guess I've kind of got a network thing going on. That thrills me! I'll need to get it set up quickly before I set off for NWA!!

I'm very thankful today for the ways that God gives me to fill my time with His work, seeking Him in quiet times, serving others in His name, encouraging others to walk with Him, and keeping me busy each day in His work. It's never dull. It's exciting and calming and anxious and peaceful all at the same time. I'm so glad that He created emotions and feelings. How boring to live in a vacuum without them. The highs and lows are all a part of the deal. They make the relationship with Him more full. Salvation, grace, mercy, faith, love... It's what brings me JOY!!!

No comments: