Sunday, February 8, 2009

February 8, 2009

Some days I can't remember what the date is, time goes by so fast. But today, there is no mistaking that it's the 8th. How do I know? Because my faithful friends, Jack and Nan McCartney always call me on the 8th of every month to wish me a 'happy month-a-versary'. What a treat that is for me! Nan even called from church this morning as she was moving from the choir room to the auditorium to join Jack for Bro Wes' message. That was so special. It made me feel like I was right there. You can be sure that on the 8th of every month I feel Joy!!

Yesterday (Saturday), I ran down to TSAC to sign a contract and pay rent for Parable to meet in a room for tonight. It's always good to see the familiar faces of Pepe (one of the doormen) and others who are tenants in 'our old' building. It's nice that we don't have to completely break ties with these people. On my way there, I stopped in at my favorite juice place and had the usual - carrot, orange, pear, ginger fresh juice cocktail. I need to go by there more often. I just love it and I always feel better after having a good shot of those natural vitamins!

I ventured down to Union Square to check out the farmer's market and maybe get some pics. I've never been there on Saturday before, and didn't know what to expect since it's winter. There were quite a few tents/booths set up. Most of the vendors come from upstate NY, Jersey, etc. There were everything from art, tshirts (lots with Obama on them), fresh bottled milk, homemade cheese, homemade bread and other baked goods, plants, cider, apples, other produce, homemade jams and jellies, herbs, elk meat, lamb, yarn made from sheep's wool, you name it and it was there. I can't wait to see what all is there in the spring and summer! I did treat myself to some cookies - sugar free oatmeal cranberry ones that were made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with grape juice. They were pretty good. I found a park bench in the sun and munched and then I spent some time talking to my Mom on the phone. It was nice to just hang out there for awhile.

Then I took the train up to 59th & 5th Ave to the SE corner of Central Park. I got some pics of The Plaza hotel, 'toy' soldiers at FAO Schwartz, horse carriages lined up for tourists, etc. I was surprised at how much snow was still on the grass in Central Park. But I guess with shade from all the little hills and the trees and the bridges, etc., that the snow hadn't had a chance to melt yet. Lots of people were just walking about. I love watching people in the park.










I stopped by my fav food store, Whole Foods, for some fresh produce and then headed home. I love shopping at Whole Foods because they have so much variety in produce, nuts, grains, seeds, organic stuff, etc. I'm still enjoying experimenting with foods that I had never seen before in the Midwest and South. Raw, natural and organic are my new goals. I've finally grown accustomed to buying food like a New Yorker - single vegetables and fruits at a time, small amounts of everything, etc. First of all, you have to carry it all home, so you only buy what you can comfortably haul with 2 hands. Then, I have no place to keep stuff, so it's not feasible to stock up. Also, fresh, natural, organic food doesn't have a long shelf life (that's why it's better for me) so I only get what I will eat for a couple of days. Then it's back to the store. But I like it this way. The exercise is good and I don't take the food for granted.

Speaking of healthy... I'm feeling so much better than I was in Oct/Nov. And I'm so thankful! Thank you for your prayers!! However, I'm still struggling with keeping my liver happy and getting it healthy. I can tell if I haven't gotten enough rest or if I have 'treated' myself to 'regular' food. Please keep me in your prayers to stay as diligent as possible to what is good for my body with it's particular problems. Also, I need to stay as healthy as possible so that my body can fight colds and viruses. I can't take cold meds and even tylenol or asprin are not good for me. Pray I keep my insides clean and healthy. That goes for my liver (physical) as well as my 'heart and soul'. I want only to put into my heart and mind what is wholesome in God's eyes. This physical journey helps me keep focused on the healthy spiritual journey as well.

This week's Bible study is on Hannah. It's been very enlightening. I love the way God reveals unexpected things with each study. I'm also participating in a book discussion group with some friends from Parable and others. We're reading 'The Reason for God' by Tim Keller. We will share with each other weekly via the Facebook page for this group. (we do this a lot here in NYC where it's tough to get together physically) I am really enjoying all the reading and studying that I'm getting to do right now. There is so much for God to show us. And also, so much to share with others.

I can't share everything about the opportunities that God is bringing for me to share Him with others on this blog, because I want to respect the privacy of those I talk with. But please know that He is working in mighty ways and I'm thankful for all the encounters and conversations and new relationships that will help to spread His word and love. Thank you for helping me to be here to do His work. Thank you for your love and prayers and support.

Be blessed and look for the JOY! Oh yeah, and happy month-a-versary! We're in this ministry together!

No comments: