Monday, March 30, 2009

March 30, 2009

Wow! Time has flown by since my last post on Wednesday. Sometimes I wonder if I yak too much on here. But there are people who say they like to hear all the stories, so I'll keep at it.

Wednesday evening I served at GCN with 3 other volunteers. We had everything quite under control with Mr. Lew. I got to leave 30 minutes early, so I went to Wild Greens Chop Shop for a healthy dinner and some time to read. Then I set off for the rescheduled Bible Study at Erin's. (by the way, I have two friends named Erin. this is Erin Hardy, and my other friend Erin Ellis is the one with the long struggle with migraines. I'll try to keep them sorted out better in my posts.) Our Bible study was really good. We shared a lot and prayed for each other. We won't be meeting for a couple of weeks due to travel opps for Erin and Christi, so it was special to be together.

Thursday I met Mike for lunch at a health food pizza place called Cafe Viva. It was tasty and good for us. (it still didn't take care of the real pizza craving, but that's how it has to be) We'll be grabbing a bite there every so often. It's on Broadway at 97th st on the Upper West Side, so it's halfway between my apartment and Mike's classes at Union. It will be a convenient and welcome meal every once in a while.

I hopped the 1 train to Times Square Station and stopped by TSAC building to rent the room for Sunday. I got to at least say hi to Lewis and Roy, visit with Thom and Carmen and Pepe, and text John Cooper a quick hello. My weekly fix with the peeps at TSAC.

I scooted over to Coffeehouse and had a blast serving with the usual Thursday night gang. I have to confess that I succumbed to temptation for dinner. Usually I am very strong about not eating any contraband when offered food. And believe me it's hard sometimes!!! Well, they had the most deliciously tantalizing liver and onions as an option for dinner. I have to admit that I did eat a small portion. (the last time I had liver, I ended up in the emergency room within a day or two last October) I enjoyed this illegal dinner soooo much. I went home very happy.

As for my health, I've still had daily queasiness and dull pain in my side, but just keep marching along. When I get used to this being the 'norm', I don't remember to be as 'good' as I should. PLEASE continue to PRAY for me in this area.

Friday I served at Clinton and had beans, roasted potatoes and cabbage for lunch. Good girl. Then I walked to Whole Foods to pick up tons of nuts and fruits and veggies that I was out of. I couldn't remember all of the ingredients for a fruit salad that my mom used to make, so I called her from the store. I forgot, until she said my phone was going in and out, that I was underground. I guess I get used to the differences in 'shopping opps' here in the city and get used to the different locations. Anyway, I lugged two very heavy bags of grub home, made the fruit salad and then laid on the sofa for a few hours of rest and reading. Then I took the salad and some french bread over to my friend Erin (Ellis)'s home for dinner and a good game of Scrabble with Danny and Andrew. It was such a nice relaxing evening. The best part was that Erin was feeling much better for the day. I miss seeing her. Please pray for her healing and continued strength.

Saturday I woke up from a wonderful long sleep. This was such a luxury for me because I often wake up 2-3 times each night and read for a short while until I fall back to sleep. I felt sooo refreshed after an uninterrupted night's sleep. I spent a lot of time reading, studying True North, Bible study and Spanish lessons.

Sunday I walked down to Coffeehouse to serve lunch. It was starting to sprinkle, but I wanted to get my exercise in for the day, so I resisted the option to take the bus. We served over 100 people for lunch. That was just about the limit of our food. There was also a local church group who were giving out food on the street in front of Coffeehouse. Lots of hungry people that day!

Alfonso and Myra are Hispanic and are trying to help me practice my Spanish. We spoke almost entirely in Spanish the whole shift. They helped me with words I didn't know, but I surprised myself at the vocabulary hidden in my brain! We discussed my marriage/divorce history, how I came about to be a missionary, the fact that they think I need a husband(!) and other stuff, including naming kitchen equipment, utensils, foods, etc. What a fun time!

I ate baked chicken, plain baked potato and red cabbage for lunch. You would be so proud of me! Even though it is TOTALLY against my nature, I pulled the skin from the chicken. That was a huge moment for me! ha! After Coffeehouse, I stopped by my friend Carol's apartment for a few minutes of chatting and prayer. She has been very sick and it was good to see her. Then off for home and rest before going to back to TSAC for Parable. I walked down a different street than usual and found some interesting things to take pictures of. I'm trying to be more spontaneous with my camera.

Parable last night was a good time of sharing with each other. Very deep, personal and authentic conversation. This is part of what I love about being a small group. We can share about our own walks with God and be there for each other. Also, I got to hold baby Colton most of the evening. He is growing so much, 5 months old now. He fell asleep on my shoulder and it was so wonderful to feel his tiny breath on my neck. He woke up in time to go home. I got my baby fix for the week!

That's about it for these last few days. There have been numerous conversations that God has allowed with different people, but due to privacy I don't tell about them. Just know that He is bringing opps into my path each day to share with people and that I thank Him for that.

I pray that you are finding lots of special moments in your days, too! Share the JOY!

No comments: