Monday, March 9, 2009

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This is tune-up day. I tried to fit all the appointments I could into this day to get them over with. At 7:45am I had a mammogram (so early - what was I thinking?) which didn’t take long at all at that time of the morning. I had a wonderful conversation about missions with Penny, who registered me in, and then a good talk with Deanna who did the torture. I gave both ladies my card and asked them to contact me when their particular discussed ‘life event’ took place. I’ll be praying for both of these ladies.
I had time before the next appointment to stop in at Walmart. I actually got to push a full-size shopping cart around the store (not too many big carts – or carts at all – in NYC. I couldn’t believe the prices! I want to buy everything and take it back to NYC! I miss the lower cost of living here. But, I’m glad that it makes it easier for those who send me stuff.
Then I proceeded to find my way to my next Dr appointment which is in a new building in a part of town that didn’t have roads before. Driving wasn’t so bad, but these new roads made me feel disoriented. Kind of like I feel when I come up from the subway and have to get my bearings on N,S,E,or W. To make it even more of a challenge, one of the long time landmarks, Oakley Chapel Methodist Church, which always faced north, had been moved and switched to face west when the new adjacent facility was built. Now, that flipped me out for a moment. I know that my Dr.’s new office was next to the new hospital (which had also been built since I’ve been gone), but I didn’t know how to get to it either. How thankful I was to see that universal square blue sign with the big H on it. I just followed that and found the building. Inside, I saw a friend who volunteers at the info desk. How fun! Then off to the Dr.’s office. It was nice to Brenda and Dr. Hargus. Fun stories were shared, but I won’t divulge the details. A girl’s gotta have some privacy! Leaving the building I ran into another friend. It was a good morning!
After a quick bite of lunch, a stop at Hobby Lobby (a favorite store, and by the way God, thanks for putting the stuff I needed on sale this week!) and run by the bank, I visited my dentist for a free cleaning. A very nice blessing! Thank you Dr. Jeffery’s office! We got to chat a little about NYC and I gave them my card so they will remember to pray for me (and my teeth).
The evening was a fun time of a ‘henna’ party with my friend Megan who is an M in a North African country. She was speaking to, and doing henna for the highschool girl’s Bible Fellowship Class. Another friend, Maria, who is an M in Baltimore was there. It was really fun. There were even a few guys there to get some henna designs on their arms, too.A very special friend and former mentee, Brittany, played her guitar and sang a song she has written and recorded on demo for me. It was awesome! I had goose-bumps! She will always have a very special place in my heart. She is growing into quite the young lady.

No comments: